The BC Pediatric Society has developed some tools
to assist pediatricians in transitioning patients into adult care.
In addition to tools and resources you will find helpful for all your transitioning patients,
we have also developed resources which pertain specifically to transitioning patients
with a mental health disorder.
Transition Tools and Resources
The BC Pediatric Society (BCPS) developed these tools based on feedback from BC community pediatricians and other physicians during province-wide consultations.
Click on the links below to start using these tools in your own practice:
- Transition Timeline Tool
• Transition Timeline Tool – a one page overview of a timeline for transition of patients
- BCPS Medical Transfer Summary (MTS)
• BCPS Medical Transfer Summary (MTS) – a 2-page print fillable form (or guide to dictation) available in common EMRs
• Tips for Making the Medical Transfer Summary Work for You
- Locating a Family Physician / Adult Specialist for a Transferring Patient
These tools contain resources for locating physicians to take on care of a transferring patient.
• Pathways Online Patient Referral Tool
• Primary Care Mental Health Services
• Division of Family Practice Attachment Mechanisms
• Specialists Interested in Accepting New Patients: Endocrine, Gastroenterology, Neurology, Respiratory, Rheumatology
- Professional Support for Clinicians
• Professional Supports for Clinicians Treating Youth with Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders
• Health Check: A Comprehensive Health Assessment of Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (2019)
• Health Check Tool (2019)
• Primary Care of Adults with Developmental Disabilities Canadian Consensus Guidelines (2011)
• Youth Transitions Care Management Plans
- Transition Tools and Resources for Patients with a Mental Health Disorder
These tools contain resources you may find helpful in transitioning a patient with a mental health disorder.
• Adult Mental Health Services
• Jordan’s Principle – Access to Supports for First Nations Children and Youth
• Mental Health and Well-Being Services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind Persons
• Transitioning Aboriginal Youth with Mental Health Disorders
• Transitioning Patients Receiving MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health Services or Aboriginal Youth Child and Mental Health Services
• Transitioning Youth with a Developmental Disability and Mental Health Disorder
• Youth with Eating Disorders
• Youth with Psychosis
- Community Resources for Transitioning Youth
These tools contain information on identifying community services and resources for patients.
• Pathways searchable database of community services, Treatment Access BC, and the Foundry searchable database of community resources
• Detailed information on Pathways searchable database of community services
• Youth Transitions Resources Available on Child Health BC Website
- Other Transition Resources
These tools contain resources that may be helpful in transitioning patients.
• Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), and Complex Developmental Behavioural Conditions (CDBC)
• Care of Children and Youth with Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Conduct Disorder
• Resources Available to Transitioning Youth with Disabilities
• Transitioning Youth with Developmental Disorders
• Youth Preparing to Leave Government Care
- Transition Projects Background Information
- Transition Fee-for-Service Codes
- Transition Timeline Tool
We welcome your feedback, concerns, or comments regarding the transfer project:
Brian Evoy, Executive Director, BC Pediatric Society
t. 604.875.3101 | e. email@example.com
The Transition/Transfer of Patients website is one component of the project Pathways to Support Community Pediatricians Transferring Patients with Mental Health Challenges to Adult Care, a project supported by the Specialist Services Committee (SSC),
a partnership of Doctors of BC and the BC government.